Sunday, January 17, 2010

Strength for 2010

For over fifteen Januaries, I’ve made resolutions for a better life in the year facing me. Sometimes I accomplished six or seven out of ten, and other times zero out of five. I’m determined to achieve all of my goals in 2010, but am sometimes overwhelmed and uncertain if I’ll have the strength.

There are some days when I only have time to live, and can’t worry about altering my routine to pursue a challenge for which no one will hold me accountable. So I’ve created a game plan to keep me on track, and remind me of where I’m headed. This week, I’d like to share my strategy in hopes that it will help you while making your resolutions.

1. Spend time to decide what you want.

You’ll never be motivated to accomplish a goal unless it’s one you set for yourself.

2. Write your resolutions down everywhere.

The years that I didn’t accomplish my goals are the ones when I forgot what they were. It is easy to get distracted by every day life. Write your resolutions down on paper. Make copies and put them in frequently seen places like a bathroom mirror, microwave door, or entertainment center holding the television. I wrote my list on the first of every month of my calendar to remind me that a deadline is approaching.

3. Be realistic

Being ambitious can be rewarding, but also discouraging if your goals seem impossible to achieve. Make resolutions that are attainable within a certain time frame, and are a step towards something bigger.

4. Be specific

Instead of writing, ‘Be healthier,’ write, ‘Be able to walk two miles three days a week by March.’ One year I wrote, ‘Save money.’ Twelve months later on New Years Eve, I had fifty cents in my pocket. I’d technically accomplished my resolution, but didn’t feel richer.

5. Make time

Because there are always so many things to do, I sometimes neglect my resolutions. So I’ve set up an appointment with myself every week to focus and work on making my life more fulfilling. Sometimes it’s at a library, coffee shop or park, but I always have something to write with, and my cell phone is turned off.

Every person is different and accomplishes goals in various ways. The pointers listed above are what have worked for me personally, but might not be beneficial to everyone. I’ve shared them with you in hopes that they will not only guide you in your quest for a more enriching life, but to also help me accomplish my number one resolution for 2010; to promote strength in the world, and help people reach their full potential.

2 comments:

Kenny said...

Jacques, your organizational advice and logical approach helped me stay on track almost 3 years ago today. I still remember your advice of breaking things down and realizing the problem is not so overwhelming.
So technically you met your 2010 resolution back in 07!
You da man!

Mrs Sharon Sim said...

My name is.Mrs.Anna Daniel. I live in Ukraine i am a happy woman today? i need to use this time to tell all people how i got my loan from this honest and God fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of $84,000 please contact him. if you also need a loan without any problem he name is Dr Purva Pius email {urgentloan22@gmail.com} tell him that is Mrs.Anna Daniel that refer you to he contact Email {urgentloan22@gmail.com}