Sunday, May 16, 2010

Wellness in a Thrifty Way



One of the things that baffle me is how a pharmacist can read what a doctor scribbles on a prescription pad. It doesn’t resemble English, but instead a secret language that only a chosen few can translate.

“It’s not always easy to understand,” laughs pharmacist, Brady Gaspard. “But after a while, you learn a doctor’s handwriting.”

Gaspard and his wife, Tara, are the owners of Thrifty Way Pharmacy located at 100 North Cushing Avenue in Kaplan. The couple purchased the business in 2007 from Kerney and Gayle Bourque.

“I worked at Thrifty Way for seven years under Mr. Kerney,” says Mr. Gaspard. “I’ve known him for a long time because he and his wife were friends with my parents. When I was trying to decide what to study in college, Mr. Kerney suggested pharmacy because he knew I had an interest in the medical field.”

Mr. Gaspard has a bachelors of Science in Pharmacy from the University of Louisiana in Monroe. Before his career began with Thrifty Way, he worked several years at other pharmacies.

“The best part of my job is helping people with their everyday health needs,” says Mr. Gaspard. “The most challenging is all of the paper work involved. Healthcare is changing constantly, and there are so many policies and procedures to follow.”

Gaspard’s most memorable moment at Thrifty Way was the day Mr. Kerney retired. They had a party to celebrate the changes in both of their lives.

For the past couple of years, I stopped by the pharmacy on a weekly basis for various items. Each trip, I noticed something a little different about the place. Either shelves were moved around or there were new gift products available. But the most noticeable change was the outside of the building.

“We put shutters over some of the windows, and painted the building,” says Mrs. Gaspard. “We also re-planned the floor and changed up the merchandise mix to include more gifts.”

In addition to Thrifty Way’s health products like cough drops, pain relievers and allergy medicine, the store also has a gift section. The merchandise ranges from home décor to jewelry to baby items to graduation presents. Free wrapping is available for all gift purchases, and I’m sure if you ask nicely they’ll tie a pretty bow around any laxatives or Pepto Bismol.

Although Mr. Gaspard doesn’t know the exact age of the building, he does have pharmacy records dating back to 1929. Other reminders of the store’s long history are the beautiful antique wood display cases against the walls.

When I went to Thrifty Way for my interview, I was also able to visit with Mrs. Gaspard, an old friend from high school. She caught me up on her life and shared that she and Brady had three children and one on the way. Since I know this is personal, I asked her if I could mention it in the article.

“Please write that I’m pregnant,” she laughed. “I don’t want everybody to think I’m just getting fat.”

I knew Mr. Gaspard from my frequent visits to Thrifty Way. He and the other pharmacist, Jeremy Lartigue, were always available to answer any questions I had, even if I called. I learned about several healthcare policies from both of them, which is what made me interested in the career.

I was a little disappointed, however, that Mr. Gaspard didn’t reveal to me that, “Yes. The scribbling on the prescription pad is a secret language that only doctors and pharmacists know. We were chosen. It is our destiny.”

Regardless of my disappointment, I did learn that there were two forces destined to be together. That is Brady and Tara, or in their power couple name, “Brara.”

It was destiny that the two of them joined together to give us a place that makes us feel better. Be it with Aspirin, aromatherapy candles or a laugh, Brara and their friendly associates bring us wellness in a Thrifty Way!

BRADY GASPARD SHOWING ME HOW TO COUNT PILLS

No comments: