Sunday, May 09, 2010

Portraits of Happiness


When I was a senior in high school, I had my portrait taken by the photographer, Jeff Nemetz. He was well known and had an excellent reputation, which made his name synonymous with the word, “photography”. In fact, anytime I pulled out a camera, my friends would make a joke.

“Who do you think you are? Jeff Nemetz?”

The real Nemetz began his photography career almost forty years ago in sales at a department store in Memphis, TN. Many of his customers were artists who wanted copies of their work.

“I would teach the sculptures and painters how to photograph the art,” says Nemetz. “After a while, they hired me to do it for them.”

Nemetz moved to Baton Rouge to study Broadcast Journalism at L.S.U. While in college, many of his friends hired him to photograph their weddings. He continued getting different photography jobs over the years and eventually decided to make it a career.

“The pull to go into photography was very strong,” says Nemetz. “So I opened my studio full time in 1984. It’s been a fun adventure.”

Nemetz’s credentials include over thirty years of studio work, as well as photography assignments with Evangeline Downs, the National Dance and Cheering Championship and the AAU Junior Olympics. His wedding and senior portraits have received awards, and his bridal work was honored with the National Fuji Masterpiece Award.


“The best part of my job is that I get to share in the happiest moments of people’s lives,” says Nemetz. “I help preserve the first memories of a new-born child and the tears of joy at weddings.”

According to Nemetz, the most challenging part of photography is learning to read the emotions of the client. He says that finding out what’s important to them is key.

“Even though the same pose might look good on everyone, it doesn’t meant that it’s the best shot for everyone,” says Nemetz. “If you try to force photography, it will diminish its meaning. Making people feel comfortable with themselves is vital.”

Nemetz’s advice to someone interested in photography is to not be afraid to take pictures. He says to keep a notebook of the shots in order to keep track of how the image was exposed.

“Photography is about waiting for the right moment,” says Nemetz. “It involves painting with light and telling a story.”
Nemetz joined the Abbeville Meridional three years ago as a features writer. He’s contributed many memorable pictures of Vermilion Parish ranging from children playing outside on the first of day of Spring to sunrises over rivers and canals.

When I interviewed Nemetz, he updated me on some recent changes going on in his life. He will soon be leaving the Abbeville Meridional and closing the photography studio he runs with his daughter, Amy Nemetz.

“Last fall I reconnected with an old girlfriend from high school on Facebook,” said Nemetz. “We’re getting married and I’m moving to Fayetteville, Arkansas at the end of the month. I’m going to open a studio up there.”

I had already heard of Nemetz’s plans, which made me especially interested in interviewing him. I’m a big fan of his work and was hoping for a little insight on photography and art.

Nemetz smiled the entire time he spoke and I’m sorry that I wasn’t able to capture it on film. But perhaps with my words, I can preserve this time in Nemetz’s life the way he did for me with my senior portrait.

Jeff, you look like a love struck teenager (Literally and physically). Your hair is more thick and full than mine was at twenty-five. (This bothers me). Your cheeks are red with the anticipation of a new life and adventure. You are smiling. Not because you have to but because you want to. This is one of the happiest moments of your life. I wish you the best.

No comments: