Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Momma of the Day


A few years ago, I was very fortunate to be a nanny for a one-year-old girl named Lea in Lausanne, Switzerland. My good friend and boss, Heather, called me the manny, but the locals called me the papa du jour (father of the day). At first I thought they were calling me a super hero or potato soup. But after the realization of what it takes to care for a child, I figured out what they meant both literally and figuratively.

During the day, I was Lea’s guardian, doctor, chef, hair stylist, photographer and favorite swing pusher. But when her momma walked into the apartment in the late afternoons, I was no longer the papa du jour. I was momma’s friend who slept in the spare room and didn’t know how to put the toilet seat down.

Lea and I would spend our mornings coloring pictures of Elmo, chasing each other around playgrounds, and listening to songs about farm animals. But right after lunch, we’d both yawn and stretch out our arms and then head to our separate rooms for naps. Her excuse for the siesta was that she was a baby, and mine was that I’d spent every second of the previous five hours watching and worrying about a little girl who was just learning to walk and break things.

But Shannon Luquette, momma du jour and owner of Le Bebe Maison takes nannying to the next level without requiring a nap. Her infant childcare center in Abbeville is the result of her imagination and love for children.

“I started the business so I’d have more time with my two girls,” says Luquette. “I love being part of a child’s development and growth.”

Luquette studied early childhood education and has first aid and CPR training. She only cares for children who are from six weeks to one year old. In addition to diaper changes and feedings, her daily routine includes recording the children’s progress with written reports and photographs.


“Leaving your child with another care-giver can be very difficult,” says Luquette. “I take a lot of pictures of the children and email them to the parents during the day.”

According to Luquette, the biggest challenge is when more than one child needs special attention at the same time. To ensure top-quality individualized care, Le Bebe Maison’s ratio of children to adults is always within state guidelines.

“We believe all children are precious and we treat them as though they are our own,” says Luquette. “My most memorable moment was the when the first baby I took care of took her first step.”

Le Bebe Maison is a beautiful craft style house filled with playful art, stimulating toys and kid safe corners and cabinets. The day I visited, swings and infant holders in every size, shape and form lined the walls, and classical music softly filled the air around the sounds of children sleeping, eating, and filling up diapers with little gifts.


My job was to change one of the babies, and Luquette did me a favor by finding one without an upset stomach. I had no doubts in my ability to do the task because of my experience with Lea. But I still felt a little nervous picking up something so small and delicate.

“Thank you for not being a sprayer,” I whispered to the baby as I safely taped the diaper closed.

Right before I stepped out of Le Bebe Maison, I paused a moment to get a final look. Luquette was rocking one of the babies, while two others played on the quilted floor next to her. The children’s parents would be there soon to get them, but until that time, the momma du jour was creating a safe and caring world filled with trust, love and clean baby bottoms.

For more information on Le Bebe Maison call 337-315-0654 or visit their website at www.lebebemaison.vpweb.com.

No comments: