Monday, December 28, 2009

Strength to Race

Whether to battle an illness, overcome obstacles or simply get through the grind of everyday life, a person needs strength. But what is it exactly? Where does it come from? How can I find it?

In my search for these answers, I recently spoke with a thirty-six year-old gentleman named Dr. Jeremy Romero. In addition to being a chiropractor with offices in Kaplan and Abbeville, he is also a triathlete. When he’s not working, or spending quality time with his family, he is peddling, swimming and running to train for his next race.

“Your typical triathlon is about 1.2 miles swimming, fifty-five miles on the bike, and thirteen miles of running,” says Romero. “But some, like the Iron Man can be double that.”

Romero ran on a regular basis through high school and college, but stopped to start a family and build his business. When he reached age thirty-two, he became concerned about his health.

“My blood pressure was high, and I had gained weight,” says Romero. “I went to a cardiologist and found out I had acid reflux. When I left his office, I had an epiphany that it was time for me to start running again. I wanted to be a good example to my little boy and girl, Landon and Lene Claire. But most of all, I wanted to be healthy so I could give them and my wife the energy they deserve.”

Romero started out running short distances, but within a year was competing in 5K runs. Each year he ran longer and longer ones, until he decided to start competing in triathlons.

“The uncertainty of my first race scared me,” said Romero. “But I love a challenge and getting out of my comfort zone. It helps me find out about myself, and what I’m made of.”

Romero picks his races based on location. He’s already run in Napa Valley, and plans to run in Hawaii, Panama City and New Orleans in the next few months.

“I love to travel because of my grandma,” Romero said. “She used to send me postcards from all over the world.”

Romero maintains a diet of nuts, chicken, turkey, lean beef, and fresh fruit and vegetables. His training regiment includes three days of cycling and running, and two days of swimming. In order to avoid interrupting family time, he wakes up at four in the morning, while his wife, Tricia and their two children sleep.

“The most challenging part of the triathlon is the wear on the body,” Romero said. “There have been many races when I just wanted to quit in the middle of it. But I never want to fail. I always want to finish.”

Dr. Jeremy Romero has used mental and physical strength to become the man he wants to be; one whom takes care of himself so he can give more to his family. His story has made me stronger, and inspired me to lead a healthier life by eating right, exercising and spending time with loved ones.

“Knowing that Tricia and the kids are waiting for me at the end of each race gives me strength,” Jeremy said. “My most memorable moment was when my five-year-old boy, Landon, met me a few feet before the finish line. He grabbed my hand and ran across with me. That gave me the strength to race for the rest of my life.”

Always consult your physician before beginning any strenuous exercise program. For more information on triathlons, go to www.triathlete.com

No comments: